I am an experienced leader and software engineer working in London for Apple.
|Team leadership||Various leadership roles throughout my career. Now manager at Apple.|
|Speaking||Accomplished public speaker with experience at conferences, board meetings and investor pitches.|
|Backend development||15 years experience but always learning. Proficient in Go and Java.|
|Distributed systems||Experience working with Cassandra, ZooKeeper, Kafka, and SOA architecture in production.|
October 2014 - present: Engineering manager at Apple
Responsible for managing the iCloud team in London.
August 2011 - October 2014: Software engineer/chief architect at Hailo
Joining pre-launch, I was the third permanent backend software engineer. Eventually occupied the position of chief architect, designing and implementing the distributed backend systems that powered Hailo. In 2016 Hailo was acquired by MyTaxi, owned by Daimler group.
- Design and implementation of Hailo's scalable technology platform
- Providing technical leadership and advocacy across the company
- Presenting at board level and occasionial investor pitches
- Twice awarded DataStax MVP for Apache Cassandra - 2013/14 and 2014/15
- Pitched and won The Chartered Institute for IT's Organisational Excellence Award 2013 in the category of "Best Use of Cloud Services"
The Hailo technology platform
- Inspired by Netflix and Amazon
- Microservice SOA comprising Go and Java services that communicate via a RabbitMQ message bus
- Storage provided by Cassandra, Zookeeper and ElasticSearch
- Data platform based around an NSQ event stream that is written to S3 and Redshift for data warehousing
- Cloud-native approach with high levels of automation and continuous failure testing
- Hosted on AWS and running out of three regions with active-active Cassandra replication
April 2010 - August 2011: Technical architect at Imagini Europe Limited
Infrastructure team lead at Imagini. At the time, Imagini operated a targeted advertising platform serving 20M unique users per month with over 5M events per day.
- Design and implementation of a scalable data storage platform (powered by Apache Cassandra)
- Founded the Cassandra London meetup group
- Design and implementation of a RESTful web service, providing a stable base that allows other parts of the company to build consumer products
- Expanding use of Continuous Integration, unit testing and code analysis
Development of the mangahigh.com maths games website in parallel with improving development systems and procedures.
May 2009 - October 2009: Software engineer at Sonik Media
Short term project working on a variety of consumer marketing projects for clients including British Cycling and Sky.
2007 - May 2009: Head of development at Neoco
Contract developer for six months followed by a step up to Head of Development at a small London marketing agency. Responsibilities included building out capabilities of an in-house software platform, managing a small engineering team, and delivering client projects to tight deadlines.
2002 - 2007: Founder at MPD Consulting Ltd
Founder of an education startup that created and sold a web-based learning management system to schools in the London area. My responsibilities covered:
- Designing and creating the product (LAMP stack)
- Running company operations including product development, testing, installation and support as well as overseeing additional operations such as sales, marketing, finance and administration
- Configuring and maintaining a number of Linux based servers running Centos4 (based on RHEL 4), with key packages Apache, MySQL, PHP, Postfix, Courier IMAP, Maildrop, SpamAssassin, OpenSSH
2001-2002: Web developer at Marshalls Park School
After graduating from University, I created an Intranet framework which considerably improved the use of ICT within the school.
1998 - 2001: The University of Birmingham
- 2:1 BSc (hons) degree in Physics with Electronics
1996 - 1998: Havering Sixth Form College, Essex
- A-Levels - Maths (A), Physics (A), Computer Science (A)
- AS-Levels - Electronics (A), Further Maths (C)
1991 - 1996: Marshalls Park School, Romford, Essex
- 9 GCSE grades A to C including 7 grade A/A*
- Contact me
- Selected archived blog posts
- Hobbies and history
Built with Skeleton.