This article is about letting you know how to install the Hypertext Preprocessor to your gaming PC. The process has several steps that might sound or look complicated, but this piece is created to simplify it all for you including keeping your PC in tip top shape so that you can concentrate on more important matters and a full breakdown on what PHP is and how you can work locally without the need to purchase web hosting.
For Gaming PCs and Other Non Dev Computers
If you use your Windows computer for other activities such as playing PC games, blogging, online shopping or simple Word doc usage then you might want to consider buying another PC for eith the develpment work or playing games. For exmaple, on PC PowerZone you buy a cheap gaming PC bundle for less than you think and this includes monitor, mouse, decent graphics card and CPU.
Important: Keep Device Drivers Up to Date
If you are a programmer, you need to improve the health and speed of your PC by ensuring that the device drivers are always Up to date. This is one of the best ways to make working locally more enjoyable and quicker. If you are doing the vast majority of your dev work on Windows PC then I recommend you keep all the device manager drivers in control panel optimised to current build.
What is PHP?
PHP, also known as Hypertext Preprocessor. It is a programming language, which is used for web development. It is mostly used to create dynamic or static websites or web applications. Initially, it was known as Personal Home Page. It is only possible to interpret PHP scripts on a server that PHP is installed.
Why You Should Practice PHP Locally
When it comes to programming languages, many websites tend to provide lessons on the internet. For instance, some are focused on letting internet users learn how to use PHP. But that is not the best way to learn since you need to apply the knowledge as you learn. However, you can learn a lot more if you download the PHP files so that you practice on your PC. That way, you will gauge yourself based on the areas that need to be accorded more effort.
You can find free PHP files on the internet. If you want to learn as you test your skills, then consider practicing locally. You can have an experienced person evaluate your progress as they guide you through the learning process.
How to Download PHP
- You should start by downloading the latest PHP 5 ZIP package from www.php.net/downloads.php. Once you are done downloading, you need to virus-scan and check the files to ascertain that they are safe.
- The next step involves the extraction of the files. We usually install the PHP files to C:\php. Be sure to create the folder so that you extract the files into it.
- Next, copy C:\php\php.ini-development to C:\php\php.ini. Then make sure that you have enabled the extension. But this depends on the libraries you consider using.
- The next step involves the addition of C:\PHP to the path environment variable. To do this, open the settings and then type “environment variables.” Select the “Advanced” tab and then tap the “Environment Variables” button.
- Move down the system variables, then click on “path” then “edit” button. Click the “edit” text and then add C:\php to end the variable value line.
- Next, you must configure the PHP as an Apache module. Use net stop Apache2:2 from the command line then open its confhttpd configuration file in an editor.
- The last step involves testing the PHP file. It is named index.php in the Apache’s web page. Go there and add the code: PHP phpinfo(); ?
XAMPP vs. WAMP
XAMP is a free open-source cross-platform that was developed by the Apache friends. It is more of a web server-solution stack page that mainly consists of Apache HTTP server, interpreters, and MariaDB database for the scripts that are written in programming languages and PHP.
WAMP, on the other hand, is an abbrevaited term that is short for for Windows, Apache, MySQL and PHP. It is a software stack, which implies that by installing it, you shall have installed Apache, PHP, and MySQL.
Both XAMP and WAMP are great, and they ensure that you can install and run PHP successfully on your PC so that you operate locally with ease. They come with the basic tools that make it easier for you to install and run PHP. They also check to see that your computer is kept healthy and fast for enhanced productivity.
If you are an aspiring programmer trying to learn some basic skills of PHP and even run one of your PC. It is advisable to take your lessons locally so that you learn as you practice. If anything is not clear, you can look for solutions on the internet, or ask an experienced person to take you through. Remember to keep your devices up to date so that you don’t experience glitches while using PHP.